Monday 9 February 2009

My band

Right let's get this motherfucker on the road. www.myspace.com/tobaccoroadband1

That's the band's Myspace. We've had 19 plays today and if we make it 20 by midnight... it will mean little.

Me and my cat Boycey are sitting here and I'm thinking of something to write what is going to be of interest. I know people say 'if you haven't got anything to say then don't say nothing at all' but i feel like a bit of a natter so fuck off.

I've been thinking in depth about how the fuck Otis Redding was so much better at singing than everyone else? It just wasn't fair on the others, if you listen to the live version of 'Try a Little Tenderness' and don't feel a bit of a tingle then i can only conclude that you are a Razorlight fan. Seriously man, check it the fuck out on youtube or something. I can't put my finger on why i've become so addicted to 60's Soul music. Admittedly, at first it was probably to try and look cool like most people do but once you've heard 'Tracks of My Tears' and really got that feeling, it changes what you look for in songs. Then the more groove based Curtis Mayfield shit makes you literally feel like a fucking hustler or something, it's great stuff... really is

So that's what i try to do really, sing like Otis Redding and write songs like Motown ones... not entirely of course as i have my deep rooted Coral influence and listen to The Doors and Bob Dylan quite alot but Soul is where my um 'Soul's at(what a cunt)

Thing is, the industry have picked up Duffy, Adele and James Morrison who are undoubtedly great singers but ain't got the songs quite frankly. Chasing Pavements was nice and Warwick Avenue is good but there ain't no fucking tempo man, we're a band who makes our music together and therefor our songs have a rawness and 'hustle'(fucking love that word) that songs that are either given to them artists or co-written with them don't have. Shit man I can't wait to make an album.

'tis not arrogance, it is a self belief which could only be knocked if Marvin Gaye came back from the dead and told me my songs were shit

1 comment: